Re: [AMBER] mmpbsa-with and without entropy

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:56:15 -0500

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013, colvin wrote:

> I use mmpbsa.py to calculate the free energy binding using a set of
> 120 snapshots and the Delta total = -14.5391 (using GB, no entropy).
>
> Later on, i turn on entropy=1 on the same system, and the result
> showed that: Using Quasi-Harmonic entropy approximation: Delta G
> binding = 32.7203 (Delta S total = -47.2595).

You should indeed expect big changes in the binding free energy due to entropy
loss of the ligand upon binding. There are tons of articles on this: try a
Google search on "ligand entropy loss upon binding". I'm also partial to a
paper I wrote, that explains some of the difficulties in using the
quasiharmonic approximation for entropies:

.Article{Gohlke04a,
  author = {Gohlke, H. and Case, D.A.},
  title = {{Converging Free Energy Estimates: MM-PB(GB)SA Studies on the
Protein-Protein Complex Ras-Raf}},
  journal = {J. Comput. Chem.},
  volume = {25},
  pages = {238-250},