Re: [AMBER] is there a difference between the GTX 680 GPU's

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 19:35:40 -0500

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> when speaking about the EVGA GTX 680s what is your opinion about this
> variant:
>
> EVGA GeForce GTX680 Classified
>
> 1536 CUDA cores
> 4 GB 256-bit GDDR5
> Core clock at 1111 MHz
> Boost Clock at 1176 MHz
> Effective Memory clock at 6008 MHz
>
> Seems to me as the most powerful from the actual 4 GB EVGA GTX 680 cards
> (and maybe from the all 4 GB GTXs 680 at the moment).

Same comments apply (the diff b/w this card and jonathan's 2nd card is
about the same as the difference between the two cards he asked about).
 Again, when comparing only memory speeds and processor speeds (all else
being equal), I only expect memory speeds to matter.

Of course, since each card is >$500 a pop, I'm a graduate student, and HPCs
won't buy consumer gaming cards (and certainly not different models to run
on otherwise identical hardware), this evaluation is based on no real-world
testing whatsoever. This is, therefore, an invitation for anyone that
knows the real-world answers of these questions to drop a hint ;). (Or
someone else's hunch/suspicion, of course)

All the best,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate