Re: [AMBER] "vlimit exceeded for step ..." during SA protocol

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 09:46:22 -0500

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012, Baptiste Legrand wrote:

> During the
> calculations on a specific compound, the temperature is not controled
> and "vlimit exceeded" errors occured during the SA protocol and the
> system blow up for some structures:
>
> NSTEP = 1800 TIME(PS) = 10.900 TEMP(K) = 735.86 PRESS
> NSTEP = 2000 TIME(PS) = 11.000 TEMP(K) = 10363.98 PRESS
> NSTEP = 2200 TIME(PS) = 11.100 TEMP(K) = 7826.16 PRESS

You need to have enough temperature control to prevent getting temperatures of
10,000 degrees. I'd recommend trying ntt=3 for this. Note that there is no
real equivalent of tautp then: you have to just change the target temperature
as a function of time to get the temperature profile you want.

(ntt=3 offers better temperature regulation, especially for smallish systems,
or systems without explicit solvent. Note that it is quite common to have to
experiment a bit with a simulated annealing input to get a temperature vs.
time profile that is effective.)

You may also have a problem with the COOH group, but try the above first.

...good luck...dac