Re: [AMBER] patching AmberTools 12 failed

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 08:29:26 -0400

Here is my guess as to what happened:

You wanted AmberTools somewhere, and so you took your existing tree that
you already had lying around and copied the whole directory over while
inside $AMBERHOME, yes? In your existing AmberTools installation, you had
already applied all of these bug fixes (i.e., the installation in your
Debian server).

To fix the problem, just extract a fresh AmberTools12.tar.bz2 tarball
downloaded from the Amber website and go from there. My best guess for an
explanation is provided in the PS.

HTH,
Jason

Here is what is happening (I think): patch_amber.py tracks the applied
patches by storing all of the ones you've already applied in a .patches/
folder. That way, it knows *exactly* what it has applied and what it
hasn't, and has all of the information there to reverse a bugfix if you
want to or to tell you exactly what it has changed. To prevent people from
messing with this directory and ruining their tree for future updates, the
decision was made to make this directory 'hidden' (i.e., with a leading
.). By default, scp and rsync will not copy over hidden files or
directories via the "scp * remote:destination" or "rsync *
remote:destination" -- you have to explicitly include hidden files and
folders -- e.g., "scp * .* remote:destination". Since these patch files
were not copied over, patch_amber.py had no way of knowing that you had
already applied these patches, so it tried applying them again. Only to
find out, as you've noticed, that they've already been applied, so it quit
with error.

While there are a number of things you can do, like copying over the
.patches/ folder from your server (only if I was right in my initial
assumption!), or use the --ignore-fails flag for patch_amber.py; the safest
thing IMO is to just start anew.

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate