Re: [AMBER] assigning FFT grids

From: Matthew Zwier <mczwier.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:54:41 -0400

Hi Brian,

I can't speak to the noise level of an anisotropic grid, or why pmemd
imposes an extra factor of 2, but the 2-3-5 rule comes from the fact
that the fast Fourier transform works recursively, and the library
used by sander (at the least) can only subdivide the problem in
factors of 2, 3, or 5. If there is another prime factor in there (7,
for example), then many FFT routines will either refuse to run, or
revert to doing an O(N^2) (non-fast) FT computation instead of the O(N
log N) FFT. AMBER just refuses to start in that case.

Cheers,
MZ