Re: [AMBER] problem with testing water movement during md simulation

From: Joshua Adelman <jla65.pitt.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 14:27:23 -0400

Hi Danny,

I have written some code to calculate the flux of water through a channel in the past. Generally what I did was after aligning each frame of a trajectory to a reference set of coordinates of the protein, use 2 planes to split the simulation box into 3 sections (above the channel [1] , in the channel [2], and below the channel [3]). A tracer (in this case measured by the position of the OH2 atom of a water molecule) has made a complete transition if it sequentially passed either passed from [1] to [3] or from [3] to [1] having gone through [2]. This is necessary to ensure that you aren't counting events from [1] to [3] that went through the periodic boundary. The reference has been aligned so that the pore axis parallel to the z-axis.

You might have to modify this scheme based on the exact geometry of your system. Another thing to think about is that in order to accurately capture water motions, you need to carefully consider how frequently you are saving your coordinates to your trajectory output. For the systems I've worked on, this required frames being written every 1 ps, since at lower temporal resolutions you would miscount crossings (if I remember correctly moving to 10 ps sampling the counts were off by approximately 15-20%).

The code I wrote in python currently only has the ability to read Anton/Desmond and DCD formatted trajectories, but could easily be adapted to read netcdf4 from Amber as well. If you or anyone else is interested in the code, feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to work with you to adapt it to your particular system.

Josh