Re: [AMBER] Ion clumping in large protein-RNA systems

From: Kamali Sripathi <ksripath.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:06:35 -0400

Hi Kevin,

Thanks again for your detailed response. I'm not very interested yet in
what the ions are doing; they're just their for experimental conditions and
to neutralize my system. I was planning on having a production run between
50ns and 100ns, so initially I might just treat this run as an ion
equilibration, depending on if I see any interesting ion behaviors towards
the end of a few of these trajectories.

Finally, I just wanted to add a step that I'd missed in my previous
protocol:

1. Solvating my molecule
2. Using Dr. Cheatham's molarity.perl script to calculate the number of
ions needed for a certain concentration
3. Adding net neutralizing ions (Cl in my case) (using addIons in my case
-- this may change for users with crystal waters)
4. Adding ions one molecule (of KCl in my case) at a time. This results in
non-crystallized KCl around my protein. (again using addIons in my case)
5. Using the "randomizeions" command in ptraj to result in a more random
distribution of the ions throughout the water box.
6. Using the setbox command in leap to re-add the box parameters, which
ptraj takes out.

Thank you all again so much for your help, and have a great weekend!

Kamali