Re: [AMBER] Ion clumping in large protein-RNA systems

From: Kevin Hauser <84hauser.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 11:16:06 -0400

Hi, Kamali,

Glad to hear leap is now behaving itself.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Kamali Sripathi <ksripath.umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thank you very much for your long and detailed response! I've been trying
> out some suggestions from you and from others in this thread. I've found
> that what works best for me (for future reference of others with similar
> problems) is
>
> 1. Solvating my molecule
> 2. Using Dr. Cheatham's molarity.perl script to calculate the number of
> ions needed for a certain concentration
> 3. Adding net neutralizing ions (Cl in my case)
> 4. Adding ions one molecule (of KCl in my case) at a time. This results in
> non-crystallized KCl around my protein.

Make sure the ions don't replace any crystal waters, if you have them...

> 5. Using the "randomizeions" command in ptraj to result in a more random
> distribution of the ions throughout the water box.
>
> Because of the size of my system, I've had to write a script containing all
> of the above leap commands and one containing the ptraj command, and submit
> these as two separate cluster jobs. However, others with smaller systems
> probably won't have to do that.
>
> Robin's AddIonsRand command in Leap does seem faster; however, I haven't
> installed the latest version of AmberTools yet, so I haven't tried it out.
>
> I did have a question, though: is it possible to have ions that are too
> well-distributed throughout the water box?

Excellent question that depends entirely your goals and hypotheses. Is
it your goal to figure out what the ions are doing, or do you just
want to include explicit ions to model experimental conditions? Note
that PME is pretty powerful..

I ask this mainly because I'm
> concerned, with the use of the randomizeions command, that I will move the
> neutralizing chloride ions too far away from the most electrostatically
> favorable locations. Conversely, I know that I can specify residue numbers
> in ptraj, and simply leave out the residue numbers for the neutralizing
> chloride ions, but I feel that this might result in artificially
> long-residence chloride ions near certain areas of the protein. Is it bad
> practice to randomize ions using ptraj, and then hope that equilibration is
> long enough (550 ps in my case) to allow the ions to find or return to the
> most electrostatically favorable locations?

Again, depends on what you want to learn. 550ps is a bit on the short
side compared to our usual 1000ps equilibration, which is still on the
short side of ion equilibration times.

I haven't found any threads in
> the AMBER mailing list archive specifically addressing this question, but
> please do let me know if any exist, and also if there are publications that
> would be particularly helpful.

I've read that equilibration times for ions can range from ~50 ns to
100s of ns. This is different from experimental structure
equilibration. This just means that you need 50-100s ns of straight MD
for the ion grids to converge. The Amber Masters may have more learned
recommendations to make, but I would recommend equilibrating a couple
systems to generate independent runs (using the prmtop/crd you just
built): for example your first step in equilibration is 10k steps of
minimization. The second step would be to introduce some temperature -
since this is the first step of MD, you can set ig differently
(explicitly, for each run set this number to a different value, see
Amber manual...) and therefore generate "independent trajectories".

But as a disclosure, I don't know your system. Each system is
different and you will have to read a lot of papers to figure out what
you need to do. You'll most likely have to experiment. (I'm a DNA guy,
so Cheatham, Case, Orozco, Sponer, Lavery, Beveridge and oh so many
more 8^)

"If we knew what we were looking for, it wouldn't be called
_re_search" - Einstein...

> [...]
>>
>> *Step 1.* Run leap with the final solvent size you want. Do not add any
>> ions yet. Just solvent.
>> *Step 2.* Use *tail* (see bash, please) to get the box information (last
>> line of *crd file), e.g.,
>> 96.1984 97.1984 98.1984 109.4712190 109.4712190 109.4712190
>>
>> *Step 3.* Copy and paste the box information into Professor Tom's script
>> appropriately, e.g.,
>> ./Tom.pl *0.15* 96.1984 97.1984 98.1984 109.4712190 109.4712190 109.4712190
>>
>> Resulting in,
>>
>> MOLARITY = 0.150
>> Box size = 96.198 97.198 98.198 109.471 109.471 109.471
>> Volume = 706821.110
>>
>> 63.847 molecules are necessary to make a molarity of 0.15M
>>
>> *Step 4. Bash a bit,*
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> for i in $(seq 1 64); do
>> echo addions mol K+ 1 Cl- 1
>> done
>>
>> Resulting in 64 lines of,
>> addions mol K+ 1 Cl- 1
>>

>> *Step 4.1* Add the 64 lines of "addions mol K+ 1 Cl-" to the leap
>> script *_*after
>> solvate line_**, e.g.
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> #leap stuff here
>> mol = loadpdb ./solute.pdb
>> *solvateOCT mol TIP3PBOX 84*
>> *addions mol K+ 0*
>> *addions mol K+ 1 Cl- 1*
>>
>> *Step 4.2. Run your leap script like so,*
>> ./leap_script.sh .& leap_script.out-2012-06.22.log &
>> then you can
>> grep "Done adding ions" leap_script.out-2012-06.22.log|wc
>> to see how far along leap is, if you're impatient and in need of instant
>> gratification.
>>
>> *Step 5. Randomize your ions. *This step ought to address your second issue
>> of ions hanging around some domains and not others.
>>
>> ptraj prmtop << EOF
>> trajin inpcrd
>> trajout inpcrd.rand restart
>>
>> prnlev 3
>>
>> randomizeions :K+,Cl- around :$X by Y overlap Z noimage
>> EOF
>>
>> Where X= the resnames of all the residues in the solute, to suit; Y and Z
>> can be found in the literature. Professor Tom has some very detailed
>> Methods sections 8^)
>>
>> Things to consider: adding net neutralizing ions; box size after
>> equilibration; whether you really want ions to be randomized or you want
>> them to go where the electrostatics are good. For this you may want to look
>> into Dan's work. Also, Robin's method is probably not only easier but
>> faster than what I've outlined here...
>>

>> HTH,
>> Kevin
>>
>> --
>> -- - -
>> HK

>> Kevin Hauser
>> The Louis and Beatrice Laufer
>> Center for Physical and Quantitative Biology
>> at Stony Brook University
>>
>> National Institutes of Health,
>> Chemical Biology Interface Training Program Fellow

-- - -