Re: [AMBER] error installing Amber12-gpu version

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:18:32 +0200

Vijay,

you need the following information:

- you can run jobs either on GPU *or* CPU
- 1 GPU job also consumes 1 CPU core by 100 %
- if your CPUs are Intel, then I am pretty sure you have only two
hexacores in your machine, i.e. 12 real cores (the factor 2 comes from
"Hyperthreading" -- you can read about this elsewhere).

Say you have N CPU cores in your machine. If you run G independent jobs
on the GPUs, then also G CPU cores are occupied. I would leave these G
cores entirely for the GPU jobs, i.e. all other jobs/processes on the
machine should not occupy more than N-G cores of your machine (which is
8 in your case).

In other words, while running 4 GPU jobs, don't hesitate to use 8 cores
of your machine for whatever you like (a normal pmemd simulation, for
instance).

On the other hand, if you run 4 GPU jobs and at the same time 24 other
processes on your machine each putting as much load on the CPUs as
possbile, the GPU jobs will suffer I believe.

Let's ask the developers:

A pmemd.cuda job consumes as much of 1 CPU core as it gets. If there is
no competition, it just takes 100 %. As I understand, this is an I/O
loop that is not event-based and therefore a significant part of these
100 % could actually be "wasted". How much of CPU power does a GPU job
really need? When do you expect the GPU job performance starting to suffer?

Regards,

Jan-Philip