Re: [AMBER] Query regarding Amber Installation

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:52:31 -0400

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012, Somnath Nandy wrote:

> Now my query is whether it is possible to run AMBER in a system having
> more than one CPU with at least 8 core in each CPU

For good performance, cores that are running Amber need to be able to quickly
communicate with each other. So, you can run up to 8 MPI threads if you have
8 cores in one chip. If you want to go "off-chip", say by having 16 MPI
threads running over two chips, to get good performance you would need a
high-speed interconnect between the two chips. Here "high-speed" would be
something like infiniband; gigabit ethernet is not fast enough.

...hope this helps...dac