Re: [AMBER] AMBERHOME is not recognized by ./configure

From: Ben Roberts <ben.roberts.geek.nz>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 10:24:02 +1200

Hi Genzo,

On 5/04/2012, at 10:15 AM, Genzo Tanaka wrote:

> Hello,
> I tried to install AmberTools12 on Mac OS X 10.7.3, and got an error of setting "AMBERHOME" in the tcsh shell. However, "echo" returned the correct directory as attached below. What is wrong with my setting?
> I had the same message for AmberTools 1.5. In that case, the config.h file was created, and AMBERHOME was temporarily assigned to the correct directory during the compilation.
> I would appreciate your help.

If you're using sudo, it's entirely possible that the "root" shell you create did not actually inherit your environment. This depends on how your particular system is set up, I think.

In any case, we don't recommend installing using sudo (or, for that matter, logging in as the root user). This is not just for Amber. Any package using "home-brewed" install scripts could, through malice or (much more commonly) mistakes, make harmful changes to important parts of your system if you do that.

Instead, we recommend that you create an Amber installation directory that you, as the user, own, and perform the installation in there. You then won't need to run sudo and this environment problem should go away.

Best,
Ben