[AMBER] Fwd: vmd-l: Re: Viewing with VMD bonds set by the "bond" command

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:39:17 +0100

It seems to me now that it is a general feature of VMD not displaying
bonds established within LEaP with command "bond". At least not so by
merely selecting the atoms/residues at issue, as I did with my system.

If you take the old Ross Walker's Tutorial A1 with plastocyanin (More
Advanced Version)
<http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tutorials/amber_workshop/Tutorial_four_orig/>
and load into VMD 1PLC.prmtop and 1PLC.inpcrd (available on that web
page), you can see that there is no line joining the copper atom with
the nitrogen of histidine (a bond that was set in with command
"bond"). In contrast, N-metal bonds established in p2n R.E.D. files
are displayed by VMD (as with my system).

Later on, in a new Tutorial A1 on anchoring fluorescein to DNA
<http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial1/section1.htm>, Ross
Walker et al made recourse to code Sirius to attach covalently the
ligand. I have not read the Tutorial in full but, on loading to VMD
fam5_polyat top/crd, the bond is shown.

Thus, if the above is correct (I confess that I have not studies the
matter thoroughly), how to set the bonds that one would like to see
with VMD? Make recourse to something else than the LEaP's "bond"
command? Are all bonds detected by rdparm (i.e., written into prmtop)
treated the same way during MD? It should be "yes".

francesco