Re: [AMBER] Mac OSX 10.7

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:36:00 -0500

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM, George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com> wrote:

> This is intended for Mac Users.
>
> I've installed AmberTools 1.5 and Amber 11 on 12 core Mac running on OSX
> 10.6.8
>
> I'm wondering if upgrading to OSX 10.7 could cause problems with the
> installation.

AmberTools 1.5 and Amber 11 work just fine on Mac OS X 10.7.x, I made the
upgrade myself many months ago. While this upgrade won't cause problems
with AmberTools/Amber, it will completely ruin your MacPorts installation,
if that's what you use to install alternative compilers and such.

You have a couple options open to you on that end. You can either keep
your MacPorts installation and just type "sudo port upgrade outdated",
which will go through and reinstall all of your ports (10.6 ports don't
work with the 10.7 kernel), or you can wipe out your whole /opt/local
directory and start over from scratch (you'll also have to get the new
Xcode tools in both cases, I think).

I opted for the "port upgrade outdated" approach, and spent a day or two
fixing my MacPorts (as I recall, I had to do a little tinkering with
MacPorts to get everything working correctly on 10.7, but I don't remember
exactly what).

Long story short, unless you have a real reason for upgrading to 10.7, I
would suggest against it. If you have any reason, though, (like you want
access to iCloud or some software that is 10.7 only), the upgrading cost is
~1 day of MacPorts-fixing or replacing. The MacPorts replacing process is
quite smooth at this point, since MacPorts has had a year or two at this
point to work out Lion kinks.

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida