Re: [AMBER] antechamber doesn't create mol2 file

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:03:26 +0100

Dear Dian,

> Thanks for your kind reply. I pretty much went through the RED tutorial but
> still have a few puzzles I hope you could help me with.
>
> Say, I have a peptide-like molecule which consists of four fragments,
> A-B-C-D. All the bonds connecting these four parts are peptide bonds except
> the bond between A and B. Here is what I will do. Please let me know if
> there is anything wrong.

This means you need to create 4 elementary building blocks, which are
in fact 4 small/whole molecules: this means the 4 fragments A, B C & D
have to be transformed into 4 elementary building blocks/whole
molecules such as: A-x1, x2-B-x3, x4-C-x5 and x6-D; x1-x6 are
connecting groups, which will be involved in charge constraints and
removed after charge fitting.

a fragment does not exist in QM - if you provide fragment A to
Gausssian/Firefly/GAMESS for geometry optimization (or MEP
computation) the program will crash. On the contrary, the QM program
will recognize the whole moelcule A-x1; x1 can be removed and the
empirical fragment A can be designed for an empirical force field by
using a charge constraint during the empirical charge fitting step.

> The first thing is to break it up to four pieces A B C and D

you need to create 4 whole molecules A-x1, x2-B-x3, x4-C-x5 & x6-D

> 1. A is like a alkane chain. Doesn't exist in AMBER library. So I have to
> treat it as a brandnew molecule. I put a CH3 group at the "C-term" (right
> side terminal). Save A-CH3 into A.pdb and follow the RED steps to get the
> parameters.

Yes however - let's say "fragment A" contains 10 carbon atoms:
CH3(CH2)9 this means whole "molecule A-x1" will contain 11 carbons
CH3(CH2)9CH3 and an intra-mcc = set 0 (with the R flag) can be used
during the fitting step to create fragment A. Then, x1 is also
designed based on the fragment B, which will be connected to A.

> 2. B and D are Asp and Ser respectively. As you said, these two can be
> found in Amber, so I don't have to parameterize them.

Yes

> However, how are the
> atoms of these fragments recognized as known amino acids?

You load the Amber force field topology database (FFTopDB; set of
force field libraries) in LEaP; to be recognized the atom & residue
names in the PDB file (experimental data of the entire molecule) have
to match these in the FFTopDB.

> Do I have to
> change the atom names from simple single letter to standard protein atom
> names, e.g. CA, OE1, etc and add the column of residue names in the
> seperate pdb file?

- if the atom & residue names in the PDB file are different and if you
want a match with the FF libs; Yes

- if the atom & residue names in the PDB file are different and if you
do not want a match with the FF libs; No - but in this case you have
to create a new FF lib.

> 3. C is an unknown molecule. I put the ACE and NME caps on each sides and
> save it as C.pdb and do the RED to get the mol2 file.

ok

> Now here are some questions:
>
> (1) After the steps above, I only end up with two mol2 files (A and C).
> What do I do with B and D?

B & D are contained in the Amber FFTopDB

> If somehow I can derive the mol2 files for B and
> D as well from AMBER existing force field database, how do I combine them
> to generate a single prmtop for the entire molecule?

- you load the Amber FFTopDB
- you load your new FF libs
- you load the PDB file of your entire molecule
the match will append based on the rules defined above.

> What do I do with the
> connections between fragments?

if you correctly defined the connecting atom between units (i.e. the
head & the tail), usually you do nothing ;-) the connection between
two units with head/tail defined is automatically performed by LEaP
See http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/leap-mol3.php

> (2) Why does RED need multiple conformations to get the charges?

because RESP & ESP charge values depends on conformation
they also depends (to a minor extend) on molecular orientation

> Can I just
> start with one structure for every individual fragment?

fragment? see above: elementary building block i.e. a small/whole molecule.

in general a building block/whole molecule with a well defined
conformation is always involved in charge derivation. which
conformation(s) to be involved is a key problem: in general the lowest
minimum/a are selected; experimental like conformation(s) can also be
selected.

by using 2 conformations in charge fitting a single set of charge
values is derived 'reflecting' the 2 conformations selected: this is
the main idea; here the charge values should be more general and
suitable for MD simulation when using an empirical force field with a
non-polarizable/fixed charge model...

> (3) If it is all about getting mol2 files, can I just break the molecule up
> in the same way (also add the caps and save as 4 seperate pdbs) and create
> the mol2 files with semi-em method (Antechamber), although it might not be
> as accurate as RESP charges. And then the problem again becomes how to
> stitch them up to create a complete prmtop.

You need to start from X whole molecules to create X fragments and
constraints are not correctly applied when using Antechamber (nmol
=1); from what I know Antechamber does not deal with the building
block approach; charge equivalencing is not correctly performed so
far; I just learned they are also pseudo-rounding off errors, etc...
Is it my role to report these problems? I do not think so...

> (4) I know there are many ways to add the ACE/NME caps and save it as a 3-D
> pdb structure. Do you have any recommendations of what software to use?

- Use Java applet in R.E.D. Server
See http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDS/faq.php#20
- Use xLEaP and the "sequence" command...
See http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/Tutorial-1.php#21

regards, Francois