Re: [AMBER] Free Energy Calculations of Potassium and Chloride

From: Sai Kumar Ramadugu <sramadugu.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:14:01 -0600

Prof Case,
Sorry about my ill-formed statements about the PME treatment and the ion
mutations.

The reason I'm following the approach used by the authors in the article is
that when you do the concurrent dual mutation, you still have to check for
the independence of the two mutations that you are doing.
According to the authors' approach:
Step1: N0 + N0 ---> K+ + Cl-
Step2: K+ + N0 ---> N0 + Cl-

Now they call DG1 for step1 and DG2 for step2. The free energy of mutating
N0 ---> K+ = (DG1 + DG2) / 2 and N0 ---> Cl- = (DG1 - DG2) / 2 (they
provided a theoretical background for this in their methods section).

Further they do a Step3
Individual mutations of N0 ---> K+
and N0 --- Cl-

The results from all these steps were consistent in their work.

So I'm trying to use this approach to my protein-ligand system but at first
I'm trying with KCl in TIP3P water using ff99SB force field in AMBER 11.

That is why I was asking about the restraints during the soft-core
implementation.

Further I noticed that when I set dvdl_norest = 1, the free energy part of
the output file does not print this option.
I have tried to explain this in detail in my previous email. But I can
provide more details if this is not sufficient.

Thanks and regards
Sai