Re: [AMBER] Free Energy Calculations of Potassium and Chloride

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:53:25 -0500

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012, Sai Kumar Ramadugu wrote:

> One of the papers that I have come across is title "Accurate Estimates of
> Free Energy Changes in Charge Mutations", JCTC, 6, 1884.
>
> The authors suggest that when charged species are mutated, due to the Ewald
> treatment of electrostatics, there is a self-energy term that appears and
> one has to account for it and they suggested a method to do dual mutations.

The Amber PME scheme (and that in other programs) automatically takes into
account the self-energy terms, so it is perfectly OK to do TI calculations
where the total charge changes. Of course, when you finally construct a real
thermodynamic cycle from your results, the total charge will be conserved, but
it is not necessary to make each step conserve charge. This then simplifies
a lot of the TI setup.

...dac