Re: [AMBER] simulation with implicit solvent runs longer than explicit?

From: Aron Broom <broomsday.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:01:35 -0500

I have never done implicit solvent calculations, but I don't understand why
you can't still apply the SHAKE algorithm to your protein (or whatever no
water thing you are simulating) and thus have a 2fs timestep? Or if the
thing you are simulating has no hydrogens, just use a 2fs timestep anyway.

Other than that the only thing I can imagine is the size of your explicit
solvent box (or whatever shape you had). The implicit solvent calculation
time will depend on the solvent model and the size of your system (without
water obviously), whereas the explicit solvent calculation will depend
largely on how many waters you have. Therefore, if your explicit solvent
system didn't actually have that many waters (you had an unreasonably small
solvent box) then it would be extremely fast. Anyway, point being that
implicit will only be faster than explicit when you are getting to ignore a
large number of waters. Since I've never run them I can't tell you where
they cross-over.

~Aron

Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student