[AMBER] simulation with implicit solvent runs longer than explicit?

From: Victor Ma <victordsmagift.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:48:01 -0600

hi all

I am doing two calculations using the same structure with explicit and
implicit solvent for the same time length (5ns). Surprisingly, the implicit
calculation is actually twice longer than explicit simply because SHAKE is
on in explicit calculation thus time step is 2fs while in implicit
calculation it is 1fs. The simulation itself seems ok. But I'm worried that
I might miss something here. People generally say implicit calculations are
a lot faster.

Here are my inputs for the production run:
IMPLICIT:
&cntrl
  imin = 0, ntb = 0,
  igb = 5, ntpr = 5000, ntwx = 2500,