Re: [AMBER] AmberTools 1.5 build fails due to undefined symbols in libnetcdf.a

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 23:52:04 +0100

Dear Ross,

I did not invoke that script. First of all, I am pretty sure it is not
mentioned in the Amber 11 and AmberTools 1.5 PDF manuals. Second, I
see that one should first make AmberTools, then invoke that script and
then make Amber. The error I was talking about occurred in the first
step; during making AmberTools.

I solved that problem by simply replacing AmberTools/src/netcdf/src
with the version 4.1.3 (from
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/index.jsp) of the library
and then adding "--disable-netcdf-4" to the netcdf configure command
in the AmberTools/src/configure script. As far as I can see, the
NetCDF libary releases are fully backwards compatible to each other,
so there shouldn't be any disadvantage in using a newer version. The
changelogs mention several bug fixes and performance improvements.
Hence, you could consider using a newer version of netcdflib in the
next release.

Now I have successfully built AmberTools. Next, I will follow your
instructions and apply this AT15_Amber.py script and try building
pmemd/sander. But I am still a bit confused... I only found
AT15_Amber.py mentioned in the context of GPUs at
http://ambermd.org/gpus/ and in these instructions:
http://sites.google.com/site/dxulab/wiki/amber11installation.

When is it actually really necessary to execute AT15_Amber.py?

Thanks,

Jan-Philip