[AMBER] Small inquiry regarding MMPBSA.py code

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 19:00:55 +0200

Hey,

I have three small questions/suggestions regarding the
MMPBSA.py/MMPBSA.py.MPI code.

1) search path
==============
I am running a setup consisting of AmberTools 1.5 and Amber 10 -- being
in separate directory trees. MMPBSA.py/MMPBSA.py.MPI did not find
sander, although it's in the $PATH:

> Error: sander could not be found!

I've changed line 587 in MMPBSA.py/MMPBSA.py.MPI to

> sander = utils.which(prog, True)

so that `utils.which` searches in $PATH and not only in $AMBERHOME/bin/.
Is there any problem with this, so it should not be default for all
users? I would consider it a special case if someone really does not
want to use the sander which is in his $PATH (then one still could
temporarily modify the environment).

2) re-implementation of which?
==============================
Isn't it more safe&clean to simply spawn a process with
GNU which instead of trying to re-implement it in the second half of
`utils.which`?

3) MMPBSA.py and MMPBSA.py.MPI
==============================
I did not look at all the implementation details, but it looks it could
be a good idea to somehow get rid of the large part of duplicate code
these two files have. Maintaining two pretty equivalent files probably
requires more effort than necessary :-)

If you're interested, I could work on at least (2).

Thanks for consideration!

Jan-Philip

--
Jan-Philip Gehrcke