[AMBER] Announcing the NVIDIA MD SimCluster Program (Free test drives available)

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:29:36 -0700

Dear Amberites,

Based on feedback and questions I have had from a number of you on the best
approach for configuring GPU clusters a project has been started with NVIDIA
to design a turnkey cluster that represents the best tradeoff between price,
performance and reliability for running AMBER GPU simulations (in addition
these MD SimClusters will also run the CPU code very effectively).

This program has been termed the MD SimCluster project by NVIDIA and I am
happy to announce that we have three of NVIDIA's hardware partners signed up
to offer such machines and to provide test drives free of charge for those
of you that would like to get your hands dirty on such machines and test out
your own simulations.

The basic cluster specification is as follows:

        4 Nodes x 8 Tesla M2090 GPUs with CUDA 4.0.
        Dual 6-core CPUs + Infiniband QDR /node.
        Preconfigured With AMBER 11 (AMBER license required).
        No Setup necessary.
        Buy cluster loaded with Linux OS and cluster management software.

Of course this can customized as desired.

More details regarding the program are available from the following webpage:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/molecular-dynamics-simcluster.html

I have additionally provided a hardware section on the Main AMBER GPU page
which discusses the MD SimCluster project as well as building your own
desktop machines (http://ambermd.org/gpus/index.htm#Hardware)

At present the following three vendors are offering free trials of MD
SimCluster machines for you to test out AMBER performance on them.

Exxact Corporation: http://exxactcorp.com/testdrive/md/

Microway: http://www.microway.com/tesla/gputestdrive/simcluster/

Colfax International: http://www.colfax-intl.com/ms_tesla.asp?M=0

Questions and feedback are appreciated.