Re: [AMBER] Fwd: fixing rmsd values (follow-up)

From: Massimiliano Porrini <M.Porrini.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:26:29 +0100

Dear Carlos, Tom and Bruno,

>From what I understood by "playing" with my trajectory and your very
useful comments I should probably increase the size of my cell
(and this time I will hack the topology file so that to have only
one molecule as solute).

If I display the trajout imaged trajectory, at some point, I still see
one monomer
separated from the three other monomers, hence I assume that
Tom and Bruno are right: my cell is too small.

Using a cut off equal to 10 Angs I thought that a closest distance of 11 angs
would have been appropriate for the physical behaviour of my system:

solvateoct tetramer TIP3PBOX 11.0

But apparently this box is too small.

Another thing I should probably point out is that I generated the trajectories
with NAMD (using Amber coordinates and topology files), anyway I carefully
checked my settings through the following page:

http://ambermd.org/namd/namd_amber.html

And what I derived myself are the x, y and z values for NAMD
cellOrigin keyword through
these commands in VMD:

% set sel [atomselect top "all"]
% measure center $sel

i. e. I assumed that the origin of the cell is equivalent to the geometric
center of my system, am I wrong in this? Could this be the problem of
re-imaging?

Thanks a lot for your hints.

All the best,

Il 27 settembre 2011 22:39, Bruno Rodrigues <bbrodrigues.gmail.com> ha scritto:
> What happens when you load the wrapped trajectory, like in Carlos' script?
> What does really happen with the solute. It can then give a good indication
> about what is wrong. Does one or two strands go to the next cell? Or does
> the system has any kind of sharp denaturation (probably not, but we never
> know...)?
>
> I've learned some stuff from my work with RMSD, and it sounds that  a part
> of your molecule really went to the next cell. And I tell you more, the
> distance between 2 cells is around 20-25 angstroms, which means that you
> have a 12 angstroms solvent layer around your solute. I would say that it's
> too few for a 44 residues molecule. I use 12 angstroms for a 20 residues.
> Maybe someone more experienced can tell something more.
>
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Carlos Simmerling <
> carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> to follow up on Tom's last sentence ("make it so all the molecules are
>> together in the prmtop"), here is a bit of info on how to do it:
>>
>> Modify the pointers in your prmtop so that all the solute molecules are in
>> 1
>> "molecule"
>>
>>   - here is a sample prmtop for a dimer- the goal is to put both monomers
>>   into a single "molecule"
>>

>> %FLAG SOLVENT_POINTERS
>> %FORMAT(3I8)
>>     830   10924       3
>>

>>   -
>>      - this data is really in this format
>>

>> FORMAT(12I6)  IPTRES, NSPM, NSPSOL
>> IPTRES : final residue that is considered part of the solute,
>>          reset in sander and gibbs
>> NSPM   : total number of molecules
>> NSPSOL : the first solvent "molecule"
>>

>>   -
>>      - what you need to do is to
>>         - leave IPTRES alone (your solute is not changing)
>>         - change NSPM to match your "new" # molecules (if you make a dimer
>>         into a single molecule, subtract 1. if you make 3 molecules
>> into 1, subtract
>>         2).
>>         - change NSPSOL the same way- subtract 1 or 2 or more, depending on
>>         what you subtracted from NSPM
>>      - here is the "new" SOLVENT_POINTERS section that turns the 2 monomers
>>      in a single molecule:
>>

>> %FLAG SOLVENT_POINTERS
>> %FORMAT(3I8)
>>     830   10923       2
>>

>>   - now for the next section to change- atoms per molecule.
>>

>> %FLAG ATOMS_PER_MOLECULE
>> %FORMAT(10I8)
>>    6015    6015       3       3       3       3       3       3       3
>>   3
>>       3       3       3       3       3       3       3       3       3
>>   3
>>

>>   -
>>      - what you want to do is combine the first two "molecules" (the
>>      monomers) into a single molecule.
>>      - change the "atoms per molecule" to combine the atoms from the two
>>      molecules
>>         - in this case, 6015+6015=12030
> [...]

Dr Massimiliano Porrini
Institute for Condensed Matter and Complex Systems
School of Physics & Astronomy
The University of Edinburgh
James Clerk Maxwell Building
The King's Buildings