Re: [AMBER] XH/pi (X=C, O, N) interactions and stacking interactions in AMBER

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.chemi.muni.cz>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:32:52 +0200 (MEST)

Just short comment to this, although I did not read in detail.
Gas phase QM benchmarks are of course very important, but
per se do not necessarily mean the force field fails
in condensed phase simulations. Of course, the closer
to QM becnhmark the better. However, simulations rely
on compensation of errors, which often may greatly
reduce the error transferred to the condensed
phase simulations. Balance of terms is important
and highly empirical.
While simulation people tend to ignore limitations QM
people lacking simulation expertise tend to overemphasize them.
If anyone interested, we have in JPCA somewhere on web in
press paper by Zgarbova et al on Base-Phoshpate H-bonding
in RNAs (essential conserved and difficult interaction
in folded RNAs). While the gas phase errors with respect
to CCSD(T) benchmarks are large, simulations so far
are rather reasonable.

Best wishes, Jiri