Re: [AMBER] SASA calculation in Amber

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:33:56 -0400

2011/9/21 Horacio Pérez-Sánchez <horacio.um.es>

> We have developed a fast and accurate new GPU based SASA calculation
> method. It can bring information about SASA per atom and also grid per atom
> necessary to graphically render the molecular surface. We would like to know
> in Amber:

Is it just for visualization, or can you get gradients to do dynamics with
it as well?

> a) where could we find information about the SASA method it uses so we can
> test speed and accuracy increment with our method

There are 2 methods for calculating SASAs in Amber: LCPO (implemented in
cpptraj, sander, and nab). The second is a recursive algorithm that uses
icosahedra to approximate the SA term. This is accessible through sander
using the gbsa=2 option in the input file (see the Amber manual).

> b) same question for the method Amber uses to graphically render the
> molecular surface

Amber doesn't really do graphical stuff much. The only GUI program in our
suite is xleap, which doesn't display surfaces as far as I know. I use VMD,
using either their built-in SURF routine or MSMS to render the surface.

HTH,
Jason

> Thanks in advance,
> Horacio