[AMBER] Effect of SLI for Amber GPU calculations - AMD Bulldozers ?

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:52:13 +0200

Hi All,
I have just two quick technical questions

Am I right that contrary to gaiming/graphical applications, SLI is not
actually so important for
Amber parallel GPU calculations ( just deducing from this contribution
http://archive.ambermd.org/201106/0005.html )

Or Am I wrong ?

Another thing.

If one thinks also about AMD alternative to build multi-GPU system ( for
example "MSI 990FXA-GD80 - AMD 990FX" + 3 x GPU)
is it worth to wait a little for new AMD FX "Bulldozers" ? Based on
several discussions here I think, that speaking just
about Amber GPU calculations, difference in using "AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Black Edition" or new 6 or 8 cores Bulldozer
will be negligible. So only in case, that the machine will be used also
for non-GPU calculations ( for example MM-PBSA
analyses ) one can obtain some interesting gain using new AMD FXs so in
such a case it is worth to wait some last weeks ( hopefully :))
) for these nice 32nm guys.

Am I right ?

  Thanks in advance for your comments !

    Best wishes,