Re: [AMBER] Sufficient CPU cores/GPU ratio ?

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:50:30 -0700

I wouldn't call the view optimistic. Rather I would call it the result of 2
years of observation while I wrote these kernels. If anything, I'm a bigger
pessimist than Ross. One of the biggest problems with GPU adoption right
now is the $h!+storm of half-a$$3d GPU LPU papers out there written by
computer scientists who port half an application to the GPU but possess zero
zip nada null low-level optimization talent and ultimately do little more
than provide warehouses of ammo for the GPUs are no better than CPUs crowd.

In any event, AMBER's performance is what happens when one both ports the
entire algorithm to the GPU and then ruthlessly optimizes it once it's
there. And that's currently the only way to illustrate exactly what GPUs
can do. The same issue is faced by game console programmers and they'd
likely agree with the above. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those
sorts in the sciences.

Scott