[AMBER] Compiling Amber11 on Blue Gene/P

From: Garo Garabedyan <g.a.garabedyan.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:45:37 +0300

  Hello Amber Team,
  I am building Amber11 with Scalasca on IBM's Blue Gene/P supercomputer as
part of my B.Sc. final project on Computer Systems and Technologies at
Technical University-Sofia, Bulgaria. Sadly, I have faced 2 blocking issues
and I have invented a workaround for 1, and, thus, one remains unsolved. I
would like to give you a feedback and to ask for help for the following
problems:

   - I have found a not standard behaviour in the Blue Gene/P compilers.
   When trying to link object files of Fortran and C it turns out that the
   naming convention is broken if previously compiling with MPI compiler
   script. Attached you can find (file:
   BlueGeneP-Mixing-Fortran-and-C-Problem-Repro.tar (application/x-tar) 10K) a
   small Makefile and a C and Fortran source files reproducing the problem-*the
   code is workarounded to be compiled and linked in MPI mode with no guarantee
   on the quality of the workaround*. When mixing Fortan and C, C functions
   have to be named like *subra_* and called from Fortran code like
*subra*(without the last character of underscore). It seams that when
compiling
   with MPI script on Blue Gene/P you have to call the function in the Fortran
   code like *subra_* or otherwise when linking the object files the
   function will be unknown.

   - I can not compile Amber11 with IBM XL compiler scripts (mpixlf90,
   mpixlc). Attached you can find (file: parallel-src70.out
   (application/octet-stream) 74K) a log of make parallel on Amber11. Compiling
   Amber11 with XL compilers is required in order to use Scalasca to measure
   performance. I have modified the config.h files (except these in AmberTools
   directory) to use mpixlf90, instead of mpif90, and mpixlc, instead of mpicc.

  I am looking forward for hearing from you.

*Yours Sincerely Garo Garabedyan*

Telephone 089 59-59-703
garabedyan.wordpress.com

Sofia, Bulgaria