Re: [AMBER] Sufficient CPU cores/GPU ratio ?

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:15:27 -0700

AMBER is designed to run the entire simulation in GPU-space. The CPU acts
as a glorified foreman shouting out directions to the GPU as to which tasks
it should run. If AMBER were rewritten from the ground up, that role could
be removed entirely. The upshot is that for single-GPU runs, you could
probably stuff 8 GPUs into a single box and barely notice the difference.
And you could also use a cheap consumer CPU as well since it's mostly
sitting on its butt waiting on the GPU(s).

The difference between using a 4 year-old $20 CPU and a current $1000+ CPU
in this situation is about 2-3%.