Re: [AMBER] Energy of solute molecule

From: Ignacio J. General <ijgeneral.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 10:15:14 -0400

Actually, I think that if you know and understand what you want, then it is
possible to use that energy in a sensible way. I do this kind of
calculations myself and find them really useful. What you can do is to
extract several frames (50, 100, several hundreds, experiment a little to
find the optimum number) from your trajectory using ptraj, and then, in a
script, do the following:

1) use ambpdb to create a pdb for each frame
2) use leap to load the pdb, use the "remove" command to remove the solvent
in that frame, and then save the parameter and coordinate files.
3) Do a 1 step minimization of each frame in sander, to get the energy of
that frame, i.e., of the solvent.
4) Take an average of all the frames.

Maybe there are more efficient ways to do this, but you can get the idea
from here. And note that in this way, you could also get the other energy
components as well, water-water (by removing the solvent) and solvent-water
(by solving a system of 3 equations, knowing total energy, solvent-solvent
energy and water-water energy).

Ignacio