[AMBER] cpptraj: 1) align using a certain region 2) calc rmsd for another region

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:41:37 +0200

Hey.

Using cpptraj, I am interested in how to get the RMSD of a certain
region within two structures after fitting these structures using
another region. The same question was already answered for ptraj:
http://archive.ambermd.org/201102/0128.html

Quote by Dan:
"
reference refstruct.rst7
rms reference :1-100
rms reference :50-55 nofit out rmsd.dat

The first rms command performs the best fit, then the second rms
command calculates the rmsd you want without changing the fit from the
first rms command.
"

This is what I propose for cpptraj (for my system):

parm topology.top
trajin traj1.mdcrd
rmsd :1-150 first
rmsd :151-161 first nofit out rmsd.dat

Would that for each frame
1) align the residues 1-150 of the current frame to the residues 1-150
of the first frame and then
2) calculate the RMSD for residues 151 to 161 with the alignment from
(1) (again current frame vs. first frame)?

I could just try, but I do not want to do a mistake that would lead to a
"good-looking" but wrong result.

Thanks!

Jan-Philip