Re: [AMBER] PBS script

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:37:00 -0700

Hi Bruno,

There is probably one of two things happening.

1) Your PBS script is running all the threads on the same node rather than
distributing them. Note, you normally specify resources in PBS with

#PBS -l nodes=4:ppn=8

Which would give you a total of 32 MPI threads spread over 4 nodes.

Try cating the contents of $PBS_NODEFILE and see which nodes it shows as
running on. You can also try 'mpirun -np 64 hostfile' which will show you
the hostname of every node an MPI thread is running on.

2) Your mpi is messed up in some way. One possibility is that the mpi you
are using is not the infiniband one and thus it is running over the Ethernet
interconnect instead of the IB interface. You should probably try to use
mvapich2 as the mpi library and try running some of the bandwidth and ping
tests that come with that to make sure everything is performing correctly.
Then make sure you recompile AMBER with this mpi version.

I would suggest starting at just 2 MPI tasks. Start by running pmemd in
serial and see what performance you get. Then try running the MPI version
on 2 cores and see what happens. Try the standard benchmarks included here:
http://ambermd.org/amber11_bench_files/Amber11_Benchmark_Suite.tar.gz

All the best
Ross