Re: [AMBER] Fwd: Is it possible to do REMD for a 12000 atom molecule?

From: Ross Walker <rosscwalker.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 05:11:53 +0800

Have you tried actually running 32 mpi threads on your 16 cores? My bet is it probably works pretty well costing you only a few percent in performance. Changing the code to allow you to run say 32 replicas with 16 mpi threads instead of requiring the current minimum of 32 is really not going to help you very much. You cannot magically make the calculations faster by doing this. I would just run with 32 threads on your 16 cores and accept that in this case you are only getting say 95% of the performance you could get if you spent ages unnecessarily overcomplicating the code.

All the best
Ross