Re: [AMBER] Using iwrap with harmonic restraints

From: Ozen, Aysegul <Aysegul.Ozen.umassmed.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:35:27 -0400

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response. So something did go wrong and I got the “Coordinate resetting (SHAKE) cannot be accomplished,

> deviation is too large” error with iwrap and harmonic restraints together.

So I turned off iwrap keeping everything else the same, assuming a restrained molecule will not be diffusing much without any problems in the restraint energy. However, at the end of each restart, the molecule is translated (I can see in VMD that the coordinates at the end the first restart and at the start of the second one are not the same). And when I restart after 250 psec, the restraint energy increases significantly from the last step of the previous restart (1.0082) to the first step of the current restart (112371.5346). At the beginning of the 3rd restart, every more strangely, the substrate is separated from the enzyme (I don’t think it’s simply diffusion because it’s still bound tightly at the end of the 2nd restart). The restraint is not only on the substrate by the way, both substrate and the a few residues of the binding site is restrained. On the other hand, when I restart at every 1ns, during the first 1 ns everything’s fine (coordinates and energies) but the second rst won’t start.

I thought because I set ig=-1 (for Langevin thermostat), could I actually be assigning new velocities at each restart? But it shouldn’t be the case because ntx=5 and irest=1 and it should be reading the velocities from the previous restart. Could it be the way output is written at the end of each rst or the way input is read? Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
Aysegul

My mdin file:

FOR HARMONICALLY RESTRAINED MD Simulation (@300K, NPT ensemble, 1 ns, no restraint)
&cntrl

! iwrap=1, !the crd written to the rst and crd files will be wrapped into a primary box.
  irest=1, !restart calculation
  ntx=5, !X and V are read formatted, box info read if ntb>0. V used only if irest=1

  temp0=300.0, !Temperature
  ntt=3, gamma_ln=1.0,ig=-1, !Langevin dynamics for temperature regulation

  ntpr=5, !mdout/mdinfo written in every 5 steps
  ntwr=5, !rst written in every 5 steps
  ntwx=5, !mdcrd written in every 5 steps

  ntb=2, !constant pressure
  ntp=1, !constant pressure dynamics, md with isotropic position scaling

  ntf=2, !force evaluation (bond interactions involving hydrogens omitted)
  ntc=2, !SHAKE (bonds involving hydrogens are omitted)

  ntr=1, restraintmask=':1-7,78,144,153,156-160,175-181,186 & @CA', restraint_wt=1.0 !kcal/mol/A2

  nstlim=125000, dt=0.002,

&end
END