Re: [AMBER] trouble installing Amber 10

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:47:54 -0400

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011, Jennifer L. Muzyka wrote:

> Sorry. We're using a Mac running Mac OSX (10.5). We have been unable
> to install gfortran from MacPorts.

This could be a problem. You might post the problems, since macports is the
recommended tool, and I the one I always use.

> We ran "./configure_amber" using gfortran instead.

This sounds fine. You might type "which gfortran" and "gfortran --version",
just to be sure you are getting what you want. But it looks like your
gfortran and gcc compilers are functional.

> cd addles && make install
> cpp -traditional -P -xassembler-with-cpp -Dsecond=ambsecond -DBINTRAJ lesmain.f > _lesmain.f
> lesmain.f:650:0: error: detected recursion whilst expanding macro "vector"

Wow. I can't see any reason why cpp would think that "vector" is a macro.
What do you get by typing "which cpp" and "cpp --version"? I don't recall
ever having seen this before, but maybe the mac-philes on the list will have
some idea. Here's what I get when examining cpp:

poincare% which cpp
/usr/bin/cpp

poincare% /usr/bin/cpp --version
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)

If you don't have something like this, you can edit config_amber.h to change
the FPP variable to use /usr/bin/cpp, instead of just cpp. Or, try removing
the "-xassembler-with-cpp" flag (in config_amber.h). I'm really just giving
wild guesses here.

...dac