Re: [AMBER] need suggestion about NVIDIA GTX 590

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 13:29:02 +0200

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 4:34 AM, setyanto md <stwahyudi.md.gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Amber user and developer,
>
> Our laboratory will prepare to build GPU based Computer for computation. We
> are consider to use GTX 590 since according to nvidia its has 1024 core.
>
> But, when I see in this review
> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=196244 NVIDIA technical
> support
> give warning about overclocking. It can damage the card.
>
> My question:
> 1. If we are using PMEMD simulation for long time runs, is it overclocking
> or not ? so can damage the card according NIVDIA technical support.

Overclocking is something you *do* to the card to make it run faster. Don't
do this for running CUDA code.

> 2. Can we use GTX 590 for PMEMD simulation using Amber 11 ?

Yes

> 3. Do we need extra cooling for this card ?

Maybe.

> 4. Are there anybody here have experience with GTX 590 ? and what is the
> recommendation ? good or not ?

Bad (but not as bad as people expected). It's the same as 2 GTX 580s in the
same enclosure, but it splits the bandwidth. Look at previous messages in
the archives for descriptions of this. Just get 580s instead.

HTH,
Jason

> Thank you very much for your attention
>
> regards