Re: [AMBER] ambertools 1.5, python and Mac

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:03:45 -0700

Hi Alan,

The only way Python will build on a Mac is if it uses the customized Apple
gcc, so for Mac OS X (only), that compiler is hard-coded into the configure
script for Python (which in the case of OS X 10.5 and 10.6 is gcc-4.2). If
you run ./configure -nopython gnu, then it should skip building python and
and just stick to using your compilers (I use MacPorts myself, which comes
with gcc_select and doesn't require me to change compiler names in
configure).

I saw that you say you configured with -nopython and still see references to
/usr/bin/gcc-4.2, but I use Macs extensively and don't see that at all given
the -nopython option. Can you pipe the build log to a file and send that to
me along with your config.h?

All the best,
Jason

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 3:19 AM, Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva <
awilter.ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I finally found some time to play with AT 1.5. I am going through the
> installation and notice that now configure try to handle the pythons
> modules
> installation for a Mac. However, I use Fink, with its own gcc-4 and python
> 2.7.
>
> I use Gcc/G++ from Fink because it's the only way I can cross-compile with
> gfortran (which doesn't come with standard Mac).
>
> So I am wondering how bad it will be to have the python module failing to
> install, e.g.:
>
> Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
> /sw/bin/ginstall: cannot create regular file
>
> `/Users/alan/Programmes/amber11/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Python':
> No such file or directory
> Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
>
> And even if I use "configure -nopython ..." I still see things like:
>
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -c -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -g -O2
> -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -IInclude
> -I./Include
> -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Python/errors.o Python/errors.c
> ./Modules/getpath.c: In function ‘calculate_path’:
>
> Like I said, I changed my configure to use 'gcc-4' and g++-4 (in /sw/bin/)
> and I don't like to see references to other gcc during compilation.
>
> Any suggestion of how to custom change configure to reflect the options I
> have in my Mac?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Alan
>

> --
> Alan Wilter SOUSA da SILVA, DSc
> Bioinformatician, UniProt - PANDA, EMBL-EBI
> CB10 1SD, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK
> +44 1223 49 4588

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida