Re: [AMBER] QUESTION ON MMPBSA

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:28:12 -0700

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:01 AM, vani panguluri <vanipanguluri.gmail.com>wrote:

> below is the error msg i got
>

> MMPBSA.py.MPI being run on 192 processors

Wow. That's a lot of processors for MMPBSA.py.MPI. Especially to be using
on only 300 frames. This will force the first 108 processors to work on 2
frames and the remaining 84 processors to work on 1 frame and wait for the
others to finish. You will almost certainly see better performance using
150 processors (since then MMPBSA has to create fewer intermediate files),
and maybe even fewer.

While this *should* work, if you get problems trying to run on this many
processors, your best bet is to *seriously* scale back the number of
processors you're trying to run on (maybe even run in serial!) and try on a
smaller subset of your frames (maybe try in serial on only 5 frames or so).
Then you can try increasing the processor count and frame count.

As with any parallel amber program, you want to make sure that the serial
version is working (or at the very least, the parallel version with a small
number of processors) to make sure that the problem is actually with the
program.

The error message you got leads me to believe that it's probably an issue
with the master's setup work before the calculations actually start, but the
system/MPI error message kind of swamps that out.

Good luck,
Jason

ptraj found! Using

Quantum Theory Project,