[AMBER] Solute concentration in MD

From: Lekpa Duukori <duukori.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:26:09 -0600

Hi all,

I have a rather general question about concentrations in MD.

I want to simulate a system were I have a number of solute molecules in a
box of water. The problem is that experimentally solute concentrates is in
micro-molars.

>From my back of the envelope calculations to get solute concentrations right
would need an enormous number of water molecules that I cannot afford.

I am not sure of exactly how to proceed. Would just adding as much water
molecules as I can handle be ok?

I have seen a large range in experimental concentrations, from 30 to 200
micro-molars. However it is known that about 20 micro-molars is the ideal
amount required for optimal function and the effects of using approx. 30 or
200 micro-molars is identical.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks.

Lekpa.