Re: [AMBER] binding energy calculation problem

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:54:27 -0500

Hello,

Python 3.0 is basically a re-design of the python language. As such, code
written in python2.x cannot be directly run with python3.x interpreter.
 There are many websites that detail this.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3 is one of them. For MMPBSA.py,
you need to use either python2.6 or python2.7 (though this is changing in
the upcoming release). In order to get it to work for python3.x, you have
to pass each module and program through the "2to3" utility. Type "which
2to3" to verify that you have this program.

However, you have an error that pops up before this becomes an issue, I made
a comment below.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM, <poll.chemie.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:

> I tried to use MMPBSA.py.As mentioned in the manual a python version
> 2.6 or later is needed. I used python3.0 which is already installed
> on our machines. As I executed the MMPBSA.py I got the following
> error:
>
> python3.0 $AMBERHOME/bin/MMPBSA.py
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/opt/amber11/bin/MMPBSA.py", line 44, in <module>
> import inputparse, utils, alamdcrd # (2)
> ImportError: Bad magic number in /opt/amber11/bin/inputparse.pyc

Just a little background to make this error make some sense: The first time
a module is imported by python, the python interpreter "compiles" the module
into what is called "byte-code", which is a binary .pyc file that loads
faster than a text-based module. However, each version of python creates
*different* byte-code binaries, so a .pyc file created with one version of
python (i.e. python2.5) cannot be used with another version of python (i.e.
python2.6, or python3.0, etc.). When you do try to import a .pyc file from
a different version, it raises the exception you see (ImportError: Bad magic
number). Try to find the default system python that compiled this version
and use that (unless it's python < 2.6). The upcoming release will not be
so finicky with regards to python version, and is a lot easier to install
and run.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,