Re: [AMBER] max pairlist cutoff error on octahedral box

From: Bongkeun Kim <bkim.chem.ucsb.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:57:13 -0800

Hello Ross,

I posted my answers between the lines.

Quoting Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>:

> Hi Bongkeun,
>
> Unfortunately it is going to be hard to figure out what is going on here
> without doing some more digging. The error you see is somewhat misleading
> since it is effectively what happens if your system blows up. Some atom gets
> a huge force on it etc etc. There are a number of things that can cause this
> including everything from a bug in the code, issues with force field
> parameters and even flakey hardware. Can you check a few things for me.
>
> 1) Verify you definitely have bugfix.12 applied. Your output file should
> say:
>
> |--------------------- INFORMATION ----------------------
> | GPU (CUDA) Version of PMEMD in use: NVIDIA GPU IN USE.
> | Version 2.1
> | 12/20/2010

Yes, it is from bugfix.12

> 2) Verify that you can reproduce this error if you start this calculation
> again on the same hardware. Does it always occur at the same point.

No, I got this error randomly.

> 3) Confirm exactly what hardware you are using. If this is NOT a C20XX
> series board then the chance of it being flakey hardware are much higher.

It's from C1070 family

> 4) Finally try setting NTPR=1 and rerunning the calculation to see if it
> crashes at the same place. That way we will be able to see exactly what
> happened before the error was triggered.

I cannot see any error when using NTPR=1. This error came about once
in 100ns randomly. I assume than heating on GPU may occur this error,
so I separated runs in every 10ns and allowed 5 min idling to cool
down GPUs. Each run spends about 10 hours.
Thanks.
Bongkeun Kim