Re: [AMBER] max pairlist cutoff error on octahedral box

From: Bill Miller III <brmilleriii.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:12:32 -0500

I have also seen this error randomly on a system I am running using regular
pmemd (i.e. not the GPU version) using Amber 11 on 256 processors on Athena.
I have seen the error on four different systems I have been running. The
systems are all fairly large (up to 350,000 atoms). The error never occurs
at the same place twice. However, the error has occurred more frequently for
me than Bongkeun. It sometimes does not happen for several nanoseconds, but
can also happen many times per nanosecond. The error:

| ERROR: max pairlist cutoff must be less than unit cell max sphere
radius!

is written once at the very end of the mdout file, and a couple of hundred
times in the STDOUT file. We also turned verbose on to see what happened
with the forces right before the error. The last step showed NaN for
essentially all energy values, followed of course by the error message.

NET FORCE PER ATOM: 0.1203E-05 0.6295E-06 0.2283E-05

     Evdw = -1296.057283476214
     Ehbond = 0.000000000000
     Ecoulomb = -220472.976904191100

     Iso virial = 199523.479901402000
     Eevir vs. Ecoulomb = 5.356456894359
 a,b,c,volume now equal to 168.045 168.045 168.045 3653026.946
 NET FORCE PER ATOM: NaN NaN NaN

     Evdw = -1296.057285985989
     Ehbond = 0.000000000000
     Ecoulomb = NaN

     Iso virial = NaN
     Eevir vs. Ecoulomb = 0.000000000000
 a,b,c,volume now equal to NaN NaN NaN NaN
| ERROR: max pairlist cutoff must be less than unit cell max sphere
radius!

This shows that, as expected, the system is blowing up right before the job
dies. Below is the pmemd mdin file used for this simulation (with verbose
turned off here, obviously).

MD Run in pmemd.
&cntrl
 nstlim=250000, owtnm='O', hwtnm1='H1',
 dielc=1, nrespa=1, temp0=310,
 tol=1e-05, vlimit=20, iwrap=1, ntc=2,
 ig=-1, pres0=1, ntb=2, ntrx=1,
 ibelly=0, nmropt=0, hwtnm2='H2',
 imin=0, ntxo=1, watnam='WAT', igb=0,
 comp=44.6, jfastw=0, ntx=5, ipol=0,
 nscm=1000, ntp=1, tempi=0, ntr=0,
 ntt=3, ntwr=1000, cut=10, ntave=0,
 dt=0.002, ntwx=1000, ntf=2, irest=1,
 ntpr=100, taup=1, gamma_ln=5,
 ioutfm=1,
/
&ewald
 verbose=0, ew_type=0, eedtbdns=500,
 netfrc=1, dsum_tol=1e-05, skinnb=2,
 rsum_tol=5e-05, nbtell=0, nbflag=1,
 frameon=1, vdwmeth=1, order=4, eedmeth=1,
/

I am using cut=10 here, but I have also tried cut=8 with the same results.

I hope all this helps pinpoint the source of the problem. Let me know if you
have any questions or if you have any suggestions.

-Bill

Bill Miller III
Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida