Re: [AMBER] PCA analysis for side chain atoms and backbone atoms

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:31:10 -0500

Hello,

It looks like you know how to do PCA via diagonalizing the covariance
matrix, so I will focus my responses on comments I have on the details of
what you're doing.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Jorgen Simonsen <jorgen589.gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to make a PCA using ptraj module with ambertools - I am
> not quite sure how the syntax is though.
> for the backbone selection I use the following syntax
>
> .N,CA,C
>
> is there any easier way to select side chains?

No.

> for an analysis of the side chains will the following syntax make any
> sense?
>
> strip .N,CA,C
> matrix mwcovar name cc.matrix out cc.matrix
> analyze matrix cc.matrix out new.matrix

A couple comments here. First of all, I don't consider the remaining atoms
after N, CA, and C are removed as the *sidechain* atoms. I would not count
the carbonyl oxygen (O) or any of the alpha protons in my definition of the
side-chain. If I was just looking for sidechain components, I would use the
mask ".N,CA,HA,HA2,HA3,C,O" to select the backbone. Second, I see no reason
to "strip" the backbone here. Why not just provide a mask for the matrix
command? As Dwight pointed, out, you can select the sidechains by selecting
*not* the backbone:

matrix mwcovar name cc.matrix out cc.matrix "! .N,CA,HA,HA2,HA3,C,O"
analyze matrix cc.matrix out new.matrix

Others may interject if I am way off here.

Hope this helps,
Jason

> Thanks in advance,

Quantum Theory Project,