Re: [AMBER] AmberTools serial compilation with intel compiler 12.0.0: final link failed

From: Vlad Cojocaru <vlad.cojocaru.mpi-muenster.mpg.de>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:33:58 +0100

Thanks for the advices!

Looks like the trick is to add "-shared-intel" to the LDFLAGS in
config.h ...
I do not have the earlier versions from intel so I don't know if this a
specific problem for the current version ..

I did however compile AMBER 10 sometime ago with intel 11.x.x and this
flag was not required ...

Vlad

On 12/01/2010 03:29 PM, Jason Swails wrote:
> In addition to what Dan said, did you source the intel environment scripts
> (ifortvars.sh, iccvars.sh, they should be in the same directory as ifort and
> icc)? They set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH for you. However, I can verify
> that the intel compilers version 11.1.069 works for installing Amber on my
> machine, so if you can roll back, I would suggest trying that to see if it
> works.
>
> Good luck!
> Jason
>
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you have any previous versions of the intel compiler, and if so
>> does compilation complete with them?
>>
>> Also, could you paste the last 20 or so lines leading up to the error?
>> A brief web search suggests this may be related to the '-lsvml' flag
>> during the link step (however the post refers to version 11.1 so no
>> guarantees, http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=77211
>> ).
>> Intel is notorious for messing with the linking step (see their MKL
>> stuff for more linking headaches) so I'm not surprised something may
>> have broken in the new version of the compilers.
>>
>> Anyway, you could try manually editing your config.h file to remove
>> the '-lsvml' flag from the FLIBSF variable and see if compilation is
>> able to proceed.
>>
>> -Dan
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Vlad Cojocaru
>> <vlad.cojocaru.mpi-muenster.mpg.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Amber community,
>>>
>>> I am compiling AMBER 11 with the Intel compiler 12.0.0 (which I just
>>> purchased)
>>> The linking during the *SERIAL* compilation of Amber Tools 1.4 (patched
>>> with all bugfixes as of today) fails with error (see below, no other
>>> error in make.log):
>>>
>>> Has anybody experienced this with this version of the Intel compiler?
>>> I would appreciate any ideas on how to get rid of this problem
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Vlad
>>>

>>> Details:
>>> -------
>>> Architecture
>>> Linux name 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Nov 9 12:54:20 EST 2010
>>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>> CPU:
>>> 2xAMD 6-core opterons per node