Re: [AMBER] Fwd: Incorrect handling of phenylalanine amide by antechamber

From: Paul S. Nerenberg <psn.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:17:11 -0700

Hi Francesco,

I have read back through all of your entries regarding this issue, and
unless I'm missing something, it appears you either want to model
model an isolated phenylalanine amide (e.g., +H3N-Phe-NH2) or a
peptide containing a C-terminal phenylalanine amide (e.g., rest of
peptide-Phe-NH2). If either of these is correct, then there is no
need to be messing around with antechamber, GAFF, or the like.
(Granted you may still want to learn about building new residues for
AMBER, but you do *not* need to build a new residue for this
particular application.) There are two straightforward ways to proceed:

(1) If you already have a PDB file for the isolated peptide, just make
sure that the atoms of the NH2 group have a different residue number
-- specifically one number greater than that of the phenylalanine --
and that these atoms belong to a residue called NHE. (See the
attached PDB files for an example of a 10 residue peptide with a
valine amide -- pneumadin.pdb -- and an isolated phenylalanine amide
-- pha.pdb. In both cases, you'll see an "extra" residue called NHE
for the NH2 group.) Then you should be able to load your sequence
straight into leap as follows:

source leaprc.ff99SB
pep = loadpdb peptide.pdb
... do what you want here and save out files ...
quit

(2) If you are building this residue from scratch (i.e., you don't
have a specific starting structure), then just input the sequence
manually and build it. I have attached two leap setup scripts that
show this sort of implementation (and generated the PDB files for
option 1):

source leaprc.ff99SB
pep = sequence { NPHE NHE }
... do what you want here and save out files ...
quit

Hopefully this is what you're after, but if not, apologies for the
diversion...

Best,

Paul

P.S. Because the structures in the PDB files haven't been minimized,
there are some close contacts and thus VMD might render some atoms as
being bonded when they aren't supposed to be.