Re: [AMBER] bond energy spikes in conjugent gradient minimization

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:56:37 -0400

Hi Vickie,

I actually recall something similar happening to me several years ago when I
was doing some QM/MM simulations. Printing every step (or every 5), my
minimization RMS would spike every 25 steps like clockwork. I believe the
way I got around this was to make "nsnb" larger than the length of the
simulation. Does this work for you?

I don't see any REAL reason why this should fix your problem, but nsnb is
the only variable that has a default value of 25, and who knows what's
ACTUALLY happening when the pairlist gets rebuilt.

Another comment is that the Amber minimizer has never gotten a terribly
large amount of praise that I'm aware of (being nice about it). Perhaps you
should try xmin (ntmin=3, described in the manual). I think this is a
better minimization method.

My final comment is in regards to the specific application you're doing...
I'm not sure how meaningful the comparisons that you're doing are. In
principle what you're comparing is the 0 degree binding enthalpy
comparisons. These are only really useful insofar as they correlate well to
binding free energies, since that's what's actually measured in the lab.
Furthermore, you have no guarantee that you're getting the global minimum,
and since the minimizations are not completing and you're not at a minimum,
the comparisons aren't really the 0K binding enthalpies either. A more
appropriate method along these lines is MM/PBSA, but the combination of
MM/PBSA and the MD required to make the snapshots is certainly more
expensive than a minimization. In any case, my 2cents.

Hope this helps,
Jason

(P.S. I was most of the way through this email when Professor Case's
response popped up, so I just finished it up and sent it out with the
duplications intact :) )

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 3:55 AM, Vickie Roberts <vickie.scripps.edu> wrote:

> Referring back to a problem described by:
>
> Balvinder Singh (Wed Sep 08 2004 - 15:49:04 PDT)
>
> I have rediscovered this problem in minimizations of 30 complexes
> of 2 proteins that I minimized with the following protocol: initial
> minimiation with strong restraints in vacuo, then with restraints
> using GB, then unrestrained with GB. The problem shows up in the GB
> minimizations, mostly in the final, long, unconstrained one. Unlike the
> industrious Balvinder Singh, I only printed
> out the energies every 10 steps. My goal was to have all 30
> complexes minimized to the same point (as measured by drms), to see if I
> could distinguish 'good' from 'bad' complexes by comparing their energies
> (all complexes are of the same 2 molecules, 2 proteins made up of standard
> amino acids with no other cofactors).
>
> I used Amber 10, Forcefield was leaprc.ff94
>
> For the final unrestrained minimization, I used
>
> GB Energy Minimization
> &cntrl
> imin = 1, maxcyc = 10000,
> ntmin = 1, ncyc = 20,
> ntpr = 10,
> ntb = 0,
> igb = 1,
> cut = 999.9
> drms = 0.00001
>

> The drms is rather stringent, so none of the minimizations got there, but,
> looking at my minimization, a criterion of
> drms = 0.01 or even 0.001 is not good enuf,
> the energy could still drop a few kcal/mol further.
>
> My problem is that the bond (and to a lesser extent valence) energy spikes
> at steps xx30 and xx80. Its likely that, as Balvinder Singh found,
> they also occur at steps xx05 and xx55, i.e. every 25 steps, but I did
> print out the energies at those steps. The spikes do not occur all the
> time,
> in fact they don't appear in the first 2 thousand steps or so. But then, as
> the
> minimization goes on, both the size and frequency of the spikes increases.
> have a plot of the energies for all 30 complexes (attached) that shows the
> problem gets steadily worse as the minimization proceeds. My bond
> energy after about step 1000 was generally about 168, except for
> steps xx30 and xx80, where it would go up a small amount (say 2-4 kcal)
> or a very large amount (50 to more than 600 kcal). For example:
>

> NSTEP ENERGY RMS GMAX NAME NUMBER
> 9420 -1.1843E+04 9.2814E-03 2.8792E-01 CD 1625
>
> BOND = 168.3836 ANGLE = 739.8685 DIHED =
> 1302.8428
> VDWAALS = -2835.5918 EEL = -23010.7186 EGB =
> -3978.4321
> 1-4 VDW = 940.2447 1-4 EEL = 14830.0193 RESTRAINT =
> 0.0000
>

> NSTEP ENERGY RMS GMAX NAME NUMBER
> 9430 -1.1056E+04 1.8257E+01 6.1400E+02 CD 1625
>
> BOND = 797.9902 ANGLE = 889.1781 DIHED =
> 1306.3816
> VDWAALS = -2836.4958 EEL = -23002.0935 EGB =
> -3975.0551
> 1-4 VDW = 940.5651 1-4 EEL = 14823.1138 RESTRAINT =
> [...]

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Graduate Student
352-392-4032