Re: [AMBER] Horrific pmemd.cuda performance on an 8-GPU system

From: Sasha Buzko <obuzko.ucla.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:23:50 -0700

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
It turned out to be a driver issue. The X server wasn't even running
(runlevel 3), and I used the same SPDP executable as the reference
system, so I checked the driver version. The originally installed was
195.36.31 - the same as on the reference system. But when I installed
driver 256.40 on the test 8-GPU system, it worked. Performance numbers
ended up pretty much the same for pmemd.cuda.
Not sure why it required the newer driver, even though the cards are
identical.. perhaps it had something to do with cards sharing an x16
slot and traffic going through a PLX switch.. Nvidia folks might know
more about this.

Thanks again

Sasha