RE: [AMBER] Is it possible to revome water molecules during simulation?

From: Bill Ross <ross.cgl.ucsf.EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:26:43 -0700

> The purpose of my dynamics is checking the sugar solubility in ionic liquid
> by various method.
> Ionic liquid has poor sugar solubility. But when I use water-mediated
> method(mentioned previous mail), sugar solubility in ionic liquid has been
> increased. This method has proven to be useful by real experiment. So I'd
> like to know why solubility has been increased when using water
> mediated-method by MD
>
> Are there any method to mimic this procedure?

The best way is the vacuum method I gave. The waters that
evaporate (as well as any other molecules) will remain in
the simulation, but distance will weaken the interactions
with the remaining mass. Whether the process of evaporation
(if successful) would tell you about sugar solubility is
an interesting question; I would read up on how accurate
such simulations are with e.g. TIP3 force field. It sounds
like an interesting thing to try for ideas anyway.

> How about "Strip" command in PTRAJ? Does it affect the sugar molecules like
> real evaporation?

No, it just makes them disappear from the output of the simulation.
Then you would have to set up another simulation with the remaining
coordinates and equilibrate it etc.

Bill