Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA.py update install problem

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 23:33:44 -0400

Hello,

We did not make the script more complicated, what we did was to introduce the .format syntax to improve the readability of the code. I was unaware that it didn't work for python 2.4 and earlier until the changes were made. I found this out on one of our compute clusters that only had python 2.4 installed.

However, I got around this by installing python locally, which is something you can do as well, you just have to install python locally. If you can find someone with sufficient unix knowledge to do this for you, it should be easier. I'll include some quick instructions here that should work if you want to try it yourself.

First download the python package and extract it into one of your directories. Go to the directory and execute the following commands:

./configure --prefix=$HOME
make && make install

This will build python in your home directory. Then set that directory in your path first. So put in your .bashrc

export PATH=~/bin\:$PATH

This will make the correct python run mmpbsa.py. As for getting the old version of the script to work, I don't know why it's not working for your system and I don't really know what to try first because I don't have your files and don't specifically know the problem. Hopefully the other instructions to get python 2.6 installed will work and you'll have luck with the new version. Also note that if you install mpi4py, you can run the nmode calculations in parallel, which should speed things up.

Good luck!

Jason Swails
Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Graduate Student
352-392-4032
On May 30, 2010, at 9:59 PM, Rilei Yu <yulaomao1983.yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Very thanks,
>>
>> Rilei Yu
>>
>> --- 10年5月30日,周日, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> 写道:
>>
>> 发件人: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
>> 主题: Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA.py update install problem
>> 收件人: "AMBER Mailing List" <amber.ambermd.org>
>> 日期: 2010年5月30日,周日,下午9:32
>>
>> Hello Rilei,
>>
>> I just downloaded the source code from the website, installed it, and tested
>> it, and it worked just fine.
>>
>> I have a couple guesses as to what your problem may be.  First: What version
>> of python do you have? Find out with the command
>>
>> python -V
>>
>> I'm guessing you have something older than python 2.5 (these older versions
>> do not support some of the syntax used in MMPBSA.py, so you will need to
>> download a more recent version of python).  To be safe, make sure you have
>> some version of Python 2.6 (2.6.5 is the latest stable version in Python2
>> available right now).
>>
>> Second: Did you erase your old version of MMPBSA.py? Try and make sure that
>> all old versions of MMPBSA.py are uninstalled.  (make uninstall in the old
>> mmpbsa_py directories).
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Jason
>>
>> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:28 AM, Rilei Yu <yulaomao1983.yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Dr Jason,
>>>
>>> Here is the information:
>>> r.yu.euphoria:~$ $AMBERHOME/bin/MMPBSA.py
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>     File "/home/r.yu/amber11/bin/MMPBSA.py", line 629, in ?
>>>       utils.gbmdin(INPUT)  # create our own
>>>     File "/home/ryu/amber11/src/mmpbsa_py/utils.py", line 329, in gbmdin
>>>       mdin.write(
>>> AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'format'
>>>
>>> r.yu.euphoria:~/amber11/test/mmpbsa_py$ make test
>>> cd 01_Generalized_Born && ./Run.GB
>>> ./Run.GB: line 37: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> cd 02_Poisson_Boltzmann && ./Run.PB
>>> ./Run.PB: line 37: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> cd 03_Alanine_Scanning && ./Run.ALA
>>> ./Run.ALA: line 42: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> ./Run.ALA: line 45: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> cd 04_Per_Residue_Decomp && ./Run.PerRes
>>> ./Run.PerRes: line 40: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> ./Run.PerRes: line 41: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> cd 05_Pairwise_Decomp && ./Run.Pairwise
>>> ./Run.Pairwise: line 40: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> ./Run.Pairwise: line 41: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> cd 06_NAB_Nmode && ./Run.nmode
>>> ./Run.nmode: line 34: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> cd 07_Comprehensive && ./Run.comprehensive
>>> ./Run.comprehensive: line 71: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> ./Run.comprehensive: line 72: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>> ./Run.comprehensive: line 73: ../../dacdif: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> MMPBSA.py -i mmpbsa.in -sp complex_solvated.prmtop -cp complex.prmtop -rp
>>> re.prmtop -lp lig.prmtop -y complex_md0.mdcrd
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>     File "/home/r.yu/amber11/bin/MMPBSA.py", line 477, in ?
>>>       INPUT[0] = inputparse.InputParse(inputfile_name, INPUT, warnings)
>>>     File "/home/ryu/amber11/src/mmpbsa_py/inputparse.py", line 129, in
>>> InputParse
>>>       print >> sys.stderr, 'Warning: Input error! "{0}" is an invalid
>>> option.'.format(ychk)
>>> AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'format'
>>>
>>> By the way, in the new version, is there any change on the command line and
>>> input file?
>>>
>>> Waiting for your response.
>>> Thanks again!
>>>
>>> --- 10年5月30日,周日, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> 写道:
>>>
>>> 发件人: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
>>> 主题: Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA.py update install problem
>>> 收件人: "AMBER Mailing List" <amber.ambermd.org>
>>> 日期: 2010年5月30日,周日,下午12:00
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> See my comments below:
>>>
>>> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Rilei Yu <yulaomao1983.yahoo.com.cn

>>> This appears to have worked.   Why do you say you still could not install
>>> it?  Please note that MMPBSA.py, utils.pyc, alamdcrd.pyc, inputparse.pyc,
>>> and mmpbsa_py_nabnmode should all be in /home/r.yu/amber11/bin, according
>>> your install messages, not amber10.  Getting the old version to work for
>>> your system may be complex, and there's a number of things to try (all of
>>> which I think would be time consuming).  However, based on your install
>>> messages, I think that it actually installed (again, look in
>>> /home/r.yu/amber11/bin).

>>> cleaned.
>>>>

>>> To keep all files, use keep_files=2 in your mmpbsa input file (&general
>>> section. see the manual).
>>>

>>> Good luck!
>>> Jason

>>> with a