RE: [AMBER] CPU core requirements for GPU Amber?

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 16:01:05 -0700

Hi Jason,

> Will it then be using 4 CPUs, or will it just stick with 1? I knew the

Yes, it will use MPI and thus will have 1 MPI thread for each GPU being
used.

> multi-GPU patch was coming, I guess I just assumed it would be 1 CPU
> directing x GPUs. Will this support GPUs on multiple machines, or just
> on

Technically there will be no difference between GPU's in a single box and
GPUs in multiple boxes from a theoretical standpoint. From a performance
point of view it is too early to tell.

> the same machine? I'd have been inclined to guess the former, though
> I'd
> heard rumor of an nVidia "supercomputer" that boasts several machines
> with
> several GPUs linked together with an interconnect on steroids
> (obviously not
> a detailed rumor :)).

I couldn't possibly comment on this... ;-)

> All the best (to copy your signature sign-off),

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. ;-)

Ciao!
Ross

/\
\/