Re: [AMBER] AMBER10 installation on OSX

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:51:43 -0400

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Mengjuei Hsieh <mjhsieh.gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/5/20 Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>:
> > P.S. perhaps another approach to building Amber10/AmberTools1.2 on Mac OS
> > 10.6 is to boot into the 64-bit kernel to perform the install (do this by
> > holding the numbers 6 and 4 down when the computer is first turned on).
> That
> > way the configure script will recognize a 64-bit kernel (uname -m returns
> > x86_64 instead of i386)
>
> That would be a no-no for laptop and desktop users since using 64bit
> only mode will disable some certain 3rd party drivers and thus make
> life less comfortable. (Having that been said, I do recommend that for
> people who have dedicated mac computing workstations.)

Even if they boot back into 32-bit after they're done? I've done that on
several occasions on my laptop, since any binary compiled in 64-bit mode can
still run in the 32-bit kernel. I've done that with other packages that put
in spurious -m32 flags everywhere and it worked just fine... Also, don't
dedicated workstations do that by default? I'm pretty sure Xserves do, but
not sure about Mac Pros.

All the best,
Jason

> Cheers,